Tuesday, June 23, 2009

YumYum!

I can't stop eating spicy food! I think it has something to do with the fact that it's 8 million degrees outside. Thank you, global warming. I hope you'll forgive my gratuitous use of canned foods this week - I'm ashamed to say that we spent our $15 on groceries at WalMart because it was the only place open at the time. How truly un-vegan of me. Anyway, I usually do eat as many fresh foods as humanly possible. After a while of eating things that are processed I tend to feel a little sluggish and weighed-down. Payday cannot come soon enough! I promise I'll be posting real recipes next week. Really, I do.

Breakfast today was pb&j again. I picked up a banana at the grocery store beside my workplace for my morning break, too.

For lunch, I had leftover chili (it's better the second day!) and a little snackpack of roasted red pepper hummus and flatbread. It was so filling that I didn't start making dinner until about 10pm:

Spiced Chickpeas and Rice
1 can chickpeas
2 cups basmati rice
chili powder
4 1/2 cups veggie stock or water*

*If you like your rice firmer, use a little less, for softer rice, a little more

Combine veggie stock/water and rice in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Add drained, rinsed chickpeas and about a palmful of chili powder. Stir everything together, cover, and reduce to low heat. Set a timer for 25 minutes or so and forget about it until it beeps! I didn't find any need to add salt to this as I used canned chickpeas, but obviously you can adjust seasonings as you see fit. This would be really tasty with curry powder also. If I had cashews and/or peas, they'd definitely be in this. I'm pretty sure that would make this biryani!

Sammy ate this with a really spicy salsa, I ate mine just as is. I ADORE the nuttiness of chickpeas and I love that they're a little firmer than your average legume. You'll find I eat a tonne of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment